Author Topic: Dimmable scenes  (Read 919 times)

Offline onArcade

Dimmable scenes
« on: March 15, 2017, 07:59:37 pm »
First I would like to say that I really enjoy the Alexa skill. It works flawlessly with all my switches. Even the virtual ones that I had to make to control the fibaro double switches. Dimmers are working. Scenes and the Nest are working. Awesome!

But I would like more! It would be pure Disney like magic if could dim all the lights at once! Just like the individual dimmers.

I can turn scenes on and off, but am not able to divine the percentages by say something like; "Alexa, turn the livingroom lights to 20 precent".

Is there a way to achieve this? I appreciate any help that you guys can provide.

Offline ember1205

Re: Dimmable scenes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 09:44:17 pm »
For individual lights, you can set a percentage. To control MULTIPLE lights like this, I believe you would need to do it via scenes and run the scenes.

One thing I don't like about Echo integration using the software bridge is that ANY commonality of devices or scenes and Alexa has no ability to recognize the device or scene correctly the first time. She says multiple items found and you have to repeat it. This would drive me nuts if I made ten scenes (10% - 100% in steps of 10) to control a group of lights and had to always state the name of the scene twice.

Offline MarcusB

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 10:40:59 pm »
In the Alexa app itself, in the Smart Home section, there is the option to group devices.  I haven't done much of this, but if you group all the living room lights it may work.  I'd test that first.

Offline onArcade

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 06:14:26 am »
In the Alexa app itself, in the Smart Home section, there is the option to group devices.  I haven't done much of this, but if you group all the living room lights it may work.  I'd test that first.

Thanks! This works like a charm! And it responds way faster than when activating a scene! Life just got a little better thanks to you sir!

But (and perhaps I should move this question to another board) is there a way to make scenes with multiple lights dimmable? I would also like to be able set a percentage in the UI and app. Right now I've got a million scenes cluttering my list of scenes. "Living room 10", "Living room 20", "Blinds 40" and so on. It would be great reduce them all to one scene each, instead of 10.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 06:20:36 am by onArcade »

Offline anthonyris

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 11:54:52 am »
You can tell Alexa to set a group to x%. Works great.

For example, all of my living room lights are in an Alexa group. I just say "Alexa, set Living Room to 25%" and voila.

Sometimes, she tells me that the group is not responding, but she isn't always truthful with me... keeps the magic alive.

Thanks! This works like a charm! And it responds way faster than when activating a scene! Life just got a little better thanks to you sir!

But (and perhaps I should move this question to another board) is there a way to make scenes with multiple lights dimmable? I would also like to be able set a percentage in the UI and app. Right now I've got a million scenes cluttering my list of scenes. "Living room 10", "Living room 20", "Blinds 40" and so on. It would be great reduce them all to one scene each, instead of 10.
Vera3x2, Leviton, GE dimmers, relays and lamp modules, Sonos, Nests...

Offline onArcade

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 09:01:19 am »
It works pretty well, but I would like to be able to fine tune a scene.

Example:  I've got all the living room lights turned on at 100%. Now I want to go in evening mode (just a couple of lights). When I tell alexa to turn on the evening light at 20% it dims the light in the group to 20%, but the remain lights keep burning at 100%. Turning of the lights first and then activating evening mode just ruins the magic, and takes way to long.

Thats why I would like to be able to activate a dimmable scene in vera it self.  That way I can turn on the lights I want and turn off the rest. Creating a scene like that turns some lights on and others off works fine, but I cant get them to be dimmable.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 09:10:13 am »
Your "Evening Lights" should contain a control the turns off the lights that you don't want on.

Or, create another scene that is triggered off of the "other" lights being dimmed and have THAT turn off the lights you no longer want on.

Offline jr4div2

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 04:04:57 pm »
I'm not sure how it would work, but I can put scenes in Alexa groups.  If you create a scene that turns off the lights you want turned off in the group with the single lights you want turned to a percentage of dim, how would that work when you activated the scene?

Just a thought

Offline onArcade

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 04:58:39 pm »
When you add a scene that turns off lights to a Alexa group, it only works when you don't specify a percentage.
When you do add a percentage, the lights in the scene that are supposed will go on on that percentage. So its no use.

Offline ember1205

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 05:42:49 pm »
Add a virtual switch to Vera, make it available in Alexa.

Create a Group in Alexa for "Living Room Lights". Be sure to include the Virtual Switch.

Create a scene in Vera that triggers when the Virtual Switch is turned on. Use LUA to query the dimmable lights. If the lights are at anything other than 100%, use LUA to turn off the "other lights" and then turn off the Virtual Switch when it's done.

Turning on the group would put everything at 100%, the virtual switch comes on, the scene triggers, everything is at 100% so there's nothing to do, the scene turns off the virtual switch.

Dimming the group moves the dimmable lights to a percentage other than 100%, the virtual switch turns on, the scene triggers, the dimmable lights are "turned down" so the fixed lights get turned off, virtual switch gets turned off.

Turning off the group turns everything off.

Offline jasr

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 02:08:35 pm »
not all of my virtual dimmers or virtual switches are showing up when I follow the link in the email to enable the skill.
Is there another step or maybe a reboot after I create new virtual dimmers needed?