Author Topic: Who is keeping some of their X-10 stuff running? Why?  (Read 475 times)

Offline treetop777

Who is keeping some of their X-10 stuff running? Why?
« on: March 19, 2017, 09:25:10 pm »
I've had x10 modules and stuff running on Homseer 2 for over 15 years.  It evolved into a pretty good system after incorporating the repeaters, blockers, and amplifiers needed to make it somewhat reliable.

Today, i have a Wink Hub 2 linked to a Vera Pus and a few Echo Dots; that combination offers almost complete compatibility with any device plus voice control of all of them but yet, I find myself coming-up with excuses to leave some of my X10 system operational - LOL

I still have my x-mas lights outlets, attic lights, laundry light + hawkeye motion and other things controlled with X-10..

How about you?  Or have you replaced EVERY THING?   ;D

Offline zedrally

• Black Cat Controllers & Control Systems
    • Black Cat Control Systems
Re: Who is keeping some of their X-10 stuff running? Why?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:46:43 pm »
Why fix it if it isn't broken?
Honorable Member of the outrageous & epic smite thread. Smite me, I dare you.
Living in the Land of Oz, give me a vegemite sandwich. Home Seer, Vera Lite & Edge, Popp, Black Cat Smart Hub & Vera G, Black Cat Lite 1 & 2's, then some  Black Cat Cat's Eye PIR's & Door-Window Sensors.

Offline shawnky

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:45:36 pm »
I am using about half z-wave, half X10 that expands around Christmas time. I recently add a Raspberry Pi and added Mocha D so I have integrated my X10 into Vera. Vera doesn't keep track of the state if I use a remote or some other program but it turns them on and off the right way by itself. My next add are my motion sensors once I get into the attic to find them... now that you have reminded me, I may do it tomorrow.

I almost forgot, I had to change out my garage door opener a couple of week-ends ago so now I have MyQ working as well. I already had a tilt sensor but now I can actually open and close the door with very little trouble. More importantly, so can my wife!

Offline treetop777

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:09:11 pm »
Indeed!  I just switched out the ol' faithful universal appliance module that closed my garage door at night for over 10 years in favor of the zwave module; you're right, now the garage door can be opened as well.

Thought about incorporating (CM15AUSB) into vera but it seemed to complicated (for me at least) so i just have a button on imperihome to launch the HS2 web interface.

X10 is my go-to if i need some quick automation.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 08:59:17 pm »
I do not have native X10 but I use an Insteon relay for my garage door.  Except when my Power Line Modem died about 3 months ago, it has been a faithful system.  I have 3 z-wave switches and seriously thought about getting X10, but it was not as cost effective as I had hoped.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.919, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline shawnky

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:12:57 pm »
Indeed!  I just switched out the ol' faithful universal appliance module that closed my garage door at night for over 10 years in favor of the zwave module; you're right, now the garage door can be opened as well.

Thought about incorporating (CM15AUSB) into vera but it seemed to complicated (for me at least) so i just have a button on imperihome to launch the HS2 web interface.

X10 is my go-to if i need some quick automation.

If you pick up the Raspberry Pi, I'm sure we could walk you through that process... it's not bad at all to get it moving.

Offline mrt100171

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 07:49:06 pm »
I am keeping ALL of my X10 running. Works great. I have plenty installed. But I live in the middle of nowhere so I don't worry about many of the things that affect others.

Not buying new X10, but buying new Insteon. I find it just better than ZWave, and more reliable.

Even with a couple of loads causing some problems with the X10 (imported, inexpensive LED bulbs) I dealt with that with some very inexpensive components, and it all works like a champ. Got it all very, very cheap.

Vera works very well with the Insteon USB module; I had to do next to nothing to get it to work, which was nice.

I just wish there was just a bit more Vera support for Insteon. All the work appears to be going to ZWave devices.

I am buying a different brand controller to see how it goes with the Insteon and X10.

I want to bridge my ancient HAI panel somehow, at least for the ZWave Fire (CO/smoke Combo) detectors. And I have a lot of I/O going through the HAI for sprinkler/pond control.

Offline XA44Owq26HxCq88

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 10:00:27 am »
I too had X-10 working for many many years. Last year I converted to VeraPlus to update the system and bring it into the 21st century. I noticed a steep decline in support in the x-10 over the years.

I kept all the gear and now use it for a vacation home, but I miss the VeraPlus ability to run things remotely. (I had a dial-in unit for the x-10 but it got fried in a lightening strike. Went to replace it and found the unit was no longer available.)

I'm probably going to attempt to integrate some of the appliance modules back into my home Vera system at some point.

Offline baldhead

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 12:16:27 pm »
In 2006-2007 I was using few X10 plugs rf command with more or less luck .  .  I went on plugwize and in 2011, while renovating an house I went to z-wave only.
X10 was too much random
Plugwize wasn't an open standard
Z-wave convinced me 😆

Offline rbakley

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 04:33:21 am »
My exodus from X10 began when I added a TED 5000 to my circuit breaker box.   It uses PLC and would randomly activate X10 devices throughout the house.   I couldn't find any way to get the two systems to co-exist.  In case you don't know, the TED 5000 is a whole house power usage monitoring system from http://www.theenergydetective.com.   After 4 years now I have replaced all of my X10 devices for Zwave.   I have been able to sell my X10 devices on eBay and it has helped recoup the cost of switching systems.   

-bob