Author Topic: Problems with Trane XL624 thermostat  (Read 88 times)

Offline dingfod

Problems with Trane XL624 thermostat
« on: March 27, 2017, 02:45:27 pm »
I recently had a heat pump installed to augment existing forced air gas heat (both single stage). When the outside temp reaches about 35 defgrees, a heat pump doesn't work well and must fall back to aux heat (gas in my case). The Costco installer didn't offer any Z-wave thermostats so I found the XL624, which supports the exterior temp probe that comes off of my new heat pump.

1. When I added the XL624 to my VeraEdge (1.7.2607) I used a generic device. This is ok, right? The Z-wave device should expose its own devices and capabilities in a way that Vera understands?

2. The internal thermometer on the XL624 is usually wrong or changes too slowly. I've mounted a stand-alone thermometer near the thermostat. The Trane unit usually reads 4-7 degrees warm, which means my house is 4-7 degrees cooler than intended. However, if I change the temp offset in the Trane, it will overheat my house because the internal thermometer doesn't change quickly enough. I'm going to try resetting the unit and disconnecting the outside temp sensor in case it's causing conflict. Just trying to simplify things to get it work. Any hints here are appreciated.

3. My last question is about expected behavior. It seems as though if the difference between inside temp and target temp is >4-5 degrees, the thermostat will always call for emergency heat. So when a scene runs that changes the set point more than 5 degrees, the t-stat will always use aux heat. If the exterior temp is appropriate, I'd just rather have primary heat be used. Is this standard behavior or configurable?

Offline dingfod

Re: Problems with Trane XL624 thermostat
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 01:53:49 am »
I'm sorry my questions weren't very Z-wavey. I'll see if Trane can offer support.