Author Topic: Google home vs Amazon echo  (Read 1533 times)

Offline buddy123

Google home vs Amazon echo
« on: March 29, 2017, 04:30:50 pm »
Hi everyone,
Im starting my zwave smart home automation and struggeling to decide whether I should go with Echo or google home.
For me, in the general sense of a device, the google home is a better fit due to using google services. Im less a user of Amazon, not a prime member etc.
But I see that there is a subforum for Alexa, and that there are several videos about the subject.

How difficult it is to setup google home to make actions?

Offline jlind

Re: Google home vs Amazon echo
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 09:14:20 am »
I've used HA bridge running on an old Raspberry Pi v2 to interface with Google Home.  I haven't tried Echo.  My combo works great (fast, low power usage, stable, etc) and really isn't that hard to setup if you know how to SSH.  It's nearly copy and paste.  Here's a great step by step link:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,31920.msg297253.html#msg297253

What I liked about the Google Home over the Echo was the ability to sync with calendars, chromecast, grocery lists, phones, and they have a massive developer network that goes along with it.  Sure, Echo probably can do these same things but I felt the GH would probably have a better native interface for them.  From what I read on this forum, it seems like GH may be a little better at understanding spoken words.  I can attest that it CAN derive the same meaning from different phrases spoken different ways.

Good luck!
VeraLite/VeraPlus with UI7, Multiple GE switches, GE Outlets, Aeon Smart Switches, Minimote, GE Portable outlets  Apps: (Pentair Autelis Plugin, Weather Underground, Honeywell WiFi Thermo, System Monitor, AlternateUI)

Online integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:02:14 am »
I'm all andriod and google devices, but right now for me Echo has been out for years and has the jump currently (google I would expect to catch up) on integration and automation. I owned an original echo for over two years now (bought it before it was out for 100.00 at the time) and recently bought several dots. My echo took a crap around a month ago and I only have dot's now. I would only buy dot's and they are super cheap compared to an echo or google. So price has google beat by over double. For those reasons I vote echo over Google at this time. 

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 12:40:23 pm »
Consider this. To Amazon you are a customer, to Google you are a product.

Regardless of the fact you pay >$100 for Google home they will monetize it to make more of you as you are basically a product to them. Case in point a few weeks back, Google home would interject suggestions to go see the 'Beauty and the Beast' move in it's answers. I have yet to see Echo do this. You may want to take this into account making your decision...
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Offline jswim788

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:49:59 pm »
I wouldn't sweat the decision too much right now.  This is early in the race with these devices.  There are going to be 2.0 versions soon enough and you'll want to switch.  If you are more comfortable with Google, then go for it.  You are not stuck with it.  The habridge can work with either.  Alexa seems to have a lead in the race, but that's today.  Tomorrow is a new day and it's really great to see these guys and others battling it out to get better products for us to use.

Online integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 12:54:24 pm »
I wouldn't sweat the decision too much right now.  This is early in the race with these devices.  There are going to be 2.0 versions soon enough and you'll want to switch.  If you are more comfortable with Google, then go for it.  You are not stuck with it.  The habridge can work with either.  Alexa seems to have a lead in the race, but that's today.  Tomorrow is a new day and it's really great to see these guys and others battling it out to get better products for us to use.

2.0 has already been out for the DOT, but since both of these devices are basically dumb devices and all smarts come from the cloud I really don't see much of a hardware change besides maybe a bit of looks, color battery power. All new features and updates are done in the cloud and work the same across all devices (dot, touch, echo). Some new to the game don't realize that.

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 03:30:05 pm »
Yeah, I should have waited a bit and bought a dot rather than an Echo as I am not using the internal speaker at all.
Instead I use her to tell the Sonos plugin on Vera what to play on my Sonos speakers.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus
Trane TZEMT400AB32 | Schlage BE369 FE599 | GE 45601 45602 45603 45604 45606 45609 45631 | Intermatic HA01C HA03C HA05C HA07C CA600 CA3000 | Aeon DSC06106 | Telguard GDC1 | Foscam FI8910W FI8905W FI9821W | D-Link 930L | Wanscam JW0011 | ZModo ZPIBH13W

Online integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 04:09:52 pm »
Yeah, I should have waited a bit and bought a dot rather than an Echo as I am not using the internal speaker at all.
Instead I use her to tell the Sonos plugin on Vera what to play on my Sonos speakers.

I also have a house full of Sono's and one of the main reasons I have no use for the larger speakers in the Echo.

Offline Chrysalis42

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:06 pm »
Hi everyone,
Im starting my zwave smart home automation and struggeling to decide whether I should go with Echo or google home.
For me, in the general sense of a device, the google home is a better fit due to using google services. Im less a user of Amazon, not a prime member etc.
But I see that there is a subforum for Alexa, and that there are several videos about the subject.

Don't go with the Echo, I've got two and they don't work very well.

They are deaf most of the time you have to shout at them and u can literally have it in your hand and it will still not hear u at times.

I've had to stop using them as a speaker as if u do they are even deafer - How stupid is that!

They also aren't too good at understanding what u say.

I'm looking to integrate some Zigbee push switches into my system, so when I want to enter a room briefly I can turn the light on /off without having to wait for echo to get it's act together.

A google one will arrive as soon as they are released.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 10:15:59 pm by Chrysalis42 »

Offline rafale77

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 10:36:34 pm »
Hi everyone,

They are deaf most of the time you have to shout at them and u can literally have it in your hand and it will still not hear u at times.

I've had to stop using them as a speaker as if u do they are even deafer - How stupid is that!

I'm looking to integrate some Zigbee push switches into my system, so when I want to enter a room briefly I can turn the light on /off without having to wait for echo to get it's act together.

Weird, I don't have this experience at all. I actually find the echo a bit oversensitive and used to have a lot of them turn on in different rooms at the same time. A recent update made it respond to only one device at a time which is great. I would vote echo. I just don't trust google being notorious for dumping hardware projects once they are not profitable leaving customers (or rather products that we are) behind hanging.

Google right now has better situational awareness but is only catching up on integration. I m finding the device too big and above all not trustworthy.
127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 128 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 11:09:29 pm »
Seconded. My echo is at the far end of the living room and I can speak to it loudly from the bed in the adjoining master bedroom and she understands me perfectly. As far as voice recognition goes, Echo understands me the best. Followed by OK Google and Cortana in a shared 2nd place. Siri, or Surly as I used to call her when I had an iPhone was so bad that I just disabled her as was more trouble than she was worth. Hopefully she's gotten better.
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus

Offline Wekurtz74

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2017, 07:22:03 am »

BOFH, would you mind sharing your sonos/echo integration?  I have tried some stuff using the Vera sonos plugin, and separately also with the harmony hub, but my implementation attempts, while they technically work in turning the speaker on/off, seem clumsy.   Thanks for any thoughts and insight you are willing to share

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline BOFH

• Sr. Hero Member
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 08:20:27 am »
I am using the Amazon echo skill created by Getvera to run scenes on my Vera that start playing some of my Sonos favorites or stop same. I haven't figured out how to do more advanced functions such as volume up/down and selecting what speakers but it appears a Sonos skill for Alexa is in beta so I put a hold on figuring that for now. I had planned on volumexx scenes to set certain levels.

Example LUUP code to start playing a Sonos favorite station (actually a Pandora one, replace with your own Pandora station name)

luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1", "PlayURI", {URIToPlay="SF:Pandora  Radio",GroupZones="ALL"}, SONOS_DEVICE_ID)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 08:22:04 am by BOFH »
Vera3 UI5 UI7 Edge Plus

Online integlikewhoa

• Master Member
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 01:48:33 pm »

I also don't have this problem nor have I seen this as a common complaint.

ECHO has a 7 microphones (Google has 2) in an array with far-field voice recognition noise cancellation so it knows what you say vs. what it's playing and Echo Spatial Perception so I don't have 2 or 3 echos answer me from different rooms. And My problem in the past was the actually the opposite as yours where more then one echo would pick up my voice.

You might find some differences in Google vs. Echo but if you google all the reviews, better microphones or understanding is not on googles side.

Offline Wekurtz74

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2017, 03:52:30 pm »
I am using the Amazon echo skill created by Getvera to run scenes on my Vera that start playing some of my Sonos favorites or stop same. I haven't figured out how to do more advanced functions such as volume up/down and selecting what speakers but it appears a Sonos skill for Alexa is in beta so I put a hold on figuring that for now. I had planned on volumexx scenes to set certain levels.

Example LUUP code to start playing a Sonos favorite station (actually a Pandora one, replace with your own Pandora station name)

luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:Sonos1", "PlayURI", {URIToPlay="SF:Pandora  Radio",GroupZones="ALL"}, SONOS_DEVICE_ID)
Thank you. 

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk