Author Topic: Google Home or Amazon Echo using VeraPlus?  (Read 888 times)

Offline araczek

• Sr. Newbie
Google Home or Amazon Echo using VeraPlus?
« on: April 10, 2017, 04:16:21 pm »
Hi-

EVEN THOUGH I just bought the Google home (trust me I have been agonizing over this) but still have my doubts about smart home control. I
know "Alexa" is being built into an Amazon Echo skill but I boiled it down to how much smarts does each unit have and I went with GH. Now, I did
not even set it up yet at home (I work and stay in another state during the week) but I still am agonizing if I made the wrong choice. I am a
Sytems Engineer and sure I can handle the HA Bridge thing so that's why I went with GH. Plus I am betting that Google could most likely ramp up
pretty quick and fix any area's GH is lacking. They have a fairly good showing out of the starting gate.

Probably been asked before and I apologize, I did a quick search and read a few. Also watched countless youtube vids. Anyone have solid thoughts on this,
especially if you use GH?

...AR

PS Better idea- buy both!

Offline rafale77

Re: Google Home or Amazon Echo using VeraPlus?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2017, 05:07:55 pm »
Well,

I am following the HA bridge evolution on Github and can tell you that it appears that google is trying to block emulator bridges. I would strongly vote for the echo and have posted in other thread elsewhere:
Echo Pros:
Amazon will try to sell things to you instead of selling you to others like Google does.
Much superior microphone setup and sensitivity
Amazon devices likely to be supported for the long run unlike GH which tend to dump hardware projects
Working HA Bridge and Vera working on their own integration
For now, much greater device support

GH Pros:
Situational awareness making conversation like interactions possible
Google integration if you use it (search, calendar etc...)

127 zwave nodes, 8 zigbee nodes, 256 devices, 17 apps, 122 scenes on a Vera Plus linked with Echo and HomeKit through bridges

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2017, 05:20:38 pm »
I have a Google Home solution waiting for Google Approval.

It is called Vera Concierge.
It will require something like the HA bridge ... that I provide.
More functionality than the existing interface ... in particular status of devices and support for more device types.

Offline araczek

• Sr. Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:37:59 am »
Hi,

Thank you for the information. Does anyone else have the same information that Google would block HA Bridge?

...Alan

Offline ember1205

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:09:25 am »
I'm kind of with Rafale77 on the notion that Google could just dump the whole project without much warning. If they don't "win" they get out of the game. Echo has a significant head start on them, so Google would really need to step up big and show that they're going to fly right by the Echo. AND, I believe they would need to provide [almost] all of the integration to Amazon that Echo supports so that they can show their product as having more value in order to get people to switch from the Echo.

Echo seems more "here to stay" than GH at this stage (IMHO).

Offline becky

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 03:13:49 pm »
Amazon will try to sell things to you instead of selling you to others like Google does.
Amazon devices likely to be supported for the long run unlike GH which tend to dump hardware projects

You have listed all the reasons I went with more echos instead of adding a Google home. I thought and thought about it because I really like Google products.

Also, Alexa has Google calendar integration as well :)

Offline ember1205

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 03:16:40 pm »

You have listed all the reasons I went with more echos instead of adding a Google home. I thought and thought about it because I really like Google products.

Echo's integration with Google calendar is crap. It's limited to exactly ONE account which is extremely limiting.

Offline becky

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 03:33:20 pm »

Echo's integration with Google calendar is crap. It's limited to exactly ONE account which is extremely limiting.

well, that's true. I haven't really had an issue with that because our family has a combined google calendar that combines everyone's individual events + keeps the kids events. My kids have echos in their rooms, so when they ask about the day's events, it reads off things that apply to the family. I use the same calendar for our morning announcements (sonos) and on our digital display in the kitchen.

I guess it all depends on how you use the calendar.

Offline ajwclw@gmail.com

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 02:05:31 pm »
I had issues with the home assistant from the Go. Went with Alexa instead. We run one calendar for all family events. then run a form of digital signage for other work calendars.

Working on getting Alexa to integrate with IP Cam is next.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 03:11:38 pm by John M. »

Offline gwichman

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 05:40:25 pm »
hmm.. i rather like my pair of google homes. i initially started with an echo and a GH and ended up dumping the echo to my brother. the wife liked the GH better in part because she'd gotten used to it and in part because it blends in with the decor better. i preferred it because in general cloud services is what google does best (their focus) and this i figured is ultimately a cloud service device (search, language processing, integration with other google products like cal/navigation/chromecast/etc, etc).

some of the criticism here i personally think is fud. both will likely ultimately do what we're after and i think both are a lot closer then they are far apart. it wasn't hard getting it to control the vera and the freedom of using your voice to control things is awesome (downright liberating). you quickly realize it's the way to go for turning lights on/off and so forth. the remotes and devices i used before to make adjustments to the house just collect dust and now i just say what i want to happen. i'm looking forward to getting my logitech hub so that i can extend that to the home theater system next.