Author Topic: Linear GD00Z-4 Initial Install Problems - Need Help ****FIXED - SOLUTION INSIDE  (Read 2475 times)

Offline swfire271

I purchased a Linear garage door opener GD00Z-4 (it says Linear on the unit itself).  I followed the directions perfectly, but after it pairs with my Vera Plus, it shows that the door is open all the time, even though physically it is shut.  If I manually open the garage door, then close it, it still shows open.  If you try to 'close' the opener from within Vera, it says 'Sending Command' and then 'Success/Transmit OK',  however it never actually switches positions from open to closed in the Vera devices area.  The Linear unit itself doesn't flash or beep at all either when you try to activate it from Vera.

I tried a new battery on the tilt sensor - same issue. 
I am able to un-pair, and re-pair the garage controller from the garage, so I know it is able to communicate with my Vera Plus.  It says 'Sucessfully Exchanged Security Keys' and everything.  I even tried moving it inside to within 10 feet of the Vera Plus but exact same thing (brought the tilt sensor in also). 

I'm thinking maybe a defective unit out of the box??  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 09:56:28 pm by swfire271 »

Offline treetop777

Re: Linear GD00Z-4 Initial Install Problems - Need Help
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 02:40:06 pm »
Possibly defective.  The fist one i bought was.  Just like yours, it paired but didn't respond to Vera.  Thank goodness for Amazon's return policy.  The sensor communicates with the module, not with Vera; so if the module is bad, the sensor will be out of whack as well.

Offline Sorin M.

• Administrator
  • Master Member
    • getvera.com
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2017, 03:05:06 pm »
Hi there,

I suspect the tilt sensor might be at fault or maybe not positioned correctly ?  As status of the door is basically given by this sensor.
Especially if you don't get any configuration errors, and you mention it says Transmit was ok, when doing any commands. So the communication between GDZ and Vera looks good as well. To confirm this, you can go to Settings of the GDZ -> Advanced-> Commands -> and Stress test : Give it a few seconds, if the response output is good, then the issue would be the GDZ itself.

I would verify this with Linear support as well.
Sorin M. ▾ Community Manager
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline skidmark

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 03:06:02 pm »
I think I have a similar situation with an older (existing installation) GD00Z.  Is there a source for replacement tilt sensors?  How is the sensor paired to the GD00Z? My research makes me think that they use 345MHz signals, but how sophisticated is it? Are they interchangeable?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:09:11 pm by skidmark »

Offline swfire271

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 11:54:06 am »
Thanks for all the replies.  I ended up getting a return authorization and shipping it back for a replacement unit.  During that process, I noticed the box showed GD00Z-5.  Not that that matters, just an observation.  Hopefully the replacement unit works better.  Thanks!

Offline swfire271

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2017, 02:14:23 pm »
Update 4/26:  Received the replacement unit the other day.  Worked on it this morning.  This is exactly what I did in order:

Installed the unit in the garage.  Installed the tilt sensor, removing the battery plastic to activate the battery in the tilt sensor.  Plugged in the garage door opener, tried to pair from the garage location, it found the device, but 'Failed to Exchange Security Keys'.  Removed the opener and went to within 5 feet of the controller (leaving the tilt sensor in the garage), tried to pair again and 'Successfully Exchanged Security Keys'.  After it was configured, unplugged and installed into garage location again, plugged it in.  Manually opened and closed the garage door 3 or 4 times to sync it up.  The status of the door never changed with the manually opening and closing of the door (per my phone app and web browser). 
Then it went to the Open position by itself at some point, just as the previous device did.  Nothing happens when you try to control it from Vera, even though it says 'Transmit OK'.  The unit doesn't beep or flash, and the status remains in the Open position.  Then I tried to unpair it from the garage, success.  Try to re-pair it, even got a successfully exchanged security keys message now from the garage location.  After trying to manually sync again, same problem still.
Box says GD00Z-5 again.  Unit itself says Linear.

Also tried a Stress Test as mentioned above.  The results said something about '10 pings sent....average ok 100ms....'

Now what??  Is it possible it's a range issue even though it pairs ok?  Really scratching my head here.....I'll probably email tech support and see what they say also.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 02:17:14 pm by swfire271 »

Offline swfire271

So this is what fixed the 2nd unit, and I'm sure the 1st unit was the same:

After calling GoControl (Linear) tech support, they wanted me to pair the tilt sensor.  I had never heard of this, or come across this in any of my searching.  They said most of them come pre-paired from the factory, but obviously some did not. 

To pair the tilt sensor to the GDO unit:

Before beginning, make sure the tilt sensor is within 10 feet of the GDO unit itself.  Make sure the tilt sensor battery is good and the plastic shipping tab has been removed to activate the battery.  If moving the tilt sensor by hand, snap the tilt sensor into the mounting bracket to make sure the safety button is pressed in.

1.  Press and hold the pairing button on the GDO unit for approx 8 seconds until the unit itself beeps once
2.  Move the tilt sensor to the 'open' position.  The GDO unit should beep again when it has received the signal from the tilt sensor, completing the pairing process.
3.  If it does not pair initially, move the tilt sensor to the closed position and wait for the final beep signaling pairing complete.

Also, it doesn't matter if the GDO unit is already paired to Vera or not.  This is just to get the tilt sensor talking to the GDO unit.

Hope this helps some others that might run into this same issue. 

Offline Mike20878

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 05:36:39 pm »
Hi there,

I suspect the tilt sensor might be at fault or maybe not positioned correctly ?  As status of the door is basically given by this sensor.
Especially if you don't get any configuration errors, and you mention it says Transmit was ok, when doing any commands. So the communication between GDZ and Vera looks good as well. To confirm this, you can go to Settings of the GDZ -> Advanced-> Commands -> and Stress test : Give it a few seconds, if the response output is good, then the issue would be the GDZ itself.

I would verify this with Linear support as well.

How do you access the GDZ settings?

Offline Mike20878

So this is what fixed the 2nd unit, and I'm sure the 1st unit was the same:

After calling GoControl (Linear) tech support, they wanted me to pair the tilt sensor.  I had never heard of this, or come across this in any of my searching.  They said most of them come pre-paired from the factory, but obviously some did not. 

To pair the tilt sensor to the GDO unit:

Before beginning, make sure the tilt sensor is within 10 feet of the GDO unit itself.  Make sure the tilt sensor battery is good and the plastic shipping tab has been removed to activate the battery.  If moving the tilt sensor by hand, snap the tilt sensor into the mounting bracket to make sure the safety button is pressed in.

1.  Press and hold the pairing button on the GDO unit for approx 8 seconds until the unit itself beeps once
2.  Move the tilt sensor to the 'open' position.  The GDO unit should beep again when it has received the signal from the tilt sensor, completing the pairing process.
3.  If it does not pair initially, move the tilt sensor to the closed position and wait for the final beep signaling pairing complete.

Also, it doesn't matter if the GDO unit is already paired to Vera or not.  This is just to get the tilt sensor talking to the GDO unit.

Hope this helps some others that might run into this same issue.

Did this solve everything?  My tilt sensor was working initially when I paired the GD00Z inside near the controller.  I then installed the GDZ, opened and closed the garage, then tried the Vera control from my phone and nada.

I have a Chamberlain 2280R and the wire inputs have two holes for each input.  So I installed the wires into the unused holes.  I'm not sure if that matters or not.

I'll try pairing the tilt sensor.

Offline Mike20878

That did it! Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk