Author Topic: Update on cool setpoint and heat setpoint for thermostats?  (Read 349 times)

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
Update on cool setpoint and heat setpoint for thermostats?
« on: April 18, 2017, 10:15:24 pm »
Apparently there was a problem with UI7 in 2014 where cool setpoint and heat setpoint were not being set properly. I couldn't tell from the forum posts if that problem has been fixed or not. I set up some scenes and used the advanced scene editor to set the cool setpoint and heat setpoint (assuming that the mode would determine the proper setpoint), but seems like only the heat setpoint is being used. We just turned on the AC and it was using the heat setpoint and so running the AC when it shouldn't have. I found a code workaround that checks the mode and sets the setpoint for that mode, but am wondering if I just did something wrong in the advanced scene editor or if setting both setpoints at the same time still doesn't work properly.

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
Re: Update on cool setpoint and heat setpoint for thermostats?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 07:06:03 am »
I use PLEG to set the heating and cooling setpoints directly.  The UI seems to change the current setpoint, which means if you change modes, the setpoint goes with it. For instance if you are cooling with a 75F setpoint, and you switch to heat, the setpoint stays at 75. I had a scene that looked at outside temp. and changed mode accordingly.  So I quit using scenes and My Modes and started using PLEG to set temps. Works well.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline dagrider

• Sr. Newbie
Re: Update on cool setpoint and heat setpoint for thermostats?
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 10:48:50 pm »
I use PLEG to set the heating and cooling setpoints directly.  The UI seems to change the current setpoint, which means if you change modes, the setpoint goes with it. For instance if you are cooling with a 75F setpoint, and you switch to heat, the setpoint stays at 75. I had a scene that looked at outside temp. and changed mode accordingly.  So I quit using scenes and My Modes and started using PLEG to set temps. Works well.

Thank you for the info! It sounds like how the setpoints work is not very well documented. I'm definitely wondering how the setpoints work if you set the mode to auto, but hubby likes to manually control heat and cool. No disrespect to PLEG, but I took a look and was confused so have managed to do everything I want so far with just the scene editor and some lua code. I implemented lua code instead of using the advanced scene editor to do the heat and cool setpoints and I think it is working the way I want now, but was hoping I just misunderstood how the setpoints work.