Author Topic: End User License Agreement ??  (Read 929 times)

Offline Mai Pensato

End User License Agreement ??
« on: April 20, 2017, 04:53:07 pm »
I am using Vera now more than three years (started with Vera3 now VeraPlus and VeraEdge) When today I logged in suddenly have to agree with an End User Agreement (dated March 2017).  I read amongst others things like "pay all applicable fees"  and "Vera may terminate this AGREEMENT at any time if you fail to compy with any term(s) hereof or fail to pay any fees when due to Vera".   What is this all about ?  Other users also confronted with this ?

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
Re: End User License Agreement ??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 05:40:44 pm »
Yep, now that they are charging for services (using there servers) they need to legally protect them selves.

Can you image the class action suit if people started complaining  that their Vera Secure allowed a burglary because it was rebooting from a crash at the time ?

Offline Don Phillips

• Worthington Engineering, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:54:16 pm »
Or someone named Alexa, whose ex-boyfriend has a restraining order against him, bangs on her door yelling "Alexa, unlock the front door" and click, he walks in.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline obd

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 08:24:24 pm »
How do I access my Vera unit without having to agree to the new terms and conditions? If I can't, then how do I get my money back?

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2017, 08:56:40 pm »
I have not seen it - but I have not logged onto their servers in weeks.
Vera 3, UI7 1.7.947, CT101 t-stat, Everspring motion detector, GE/Jasco switch, Leviton outlet, AeonLabs door sensor, Insteon garage control, Blue Iris, Sricam SP011, iPhone locator, APCUPSD, VeraMate, VeraAlerts, PLEG, House Modes, Countdown Timer, DVR, Virtual & Multi Switch, Weather, Sys. Mon.

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 09:08:25 am »
You do not have to login to Vera's Servers or use Vera's mobile apps to use an existing Vera.
I only do occasionally, but usually for software testing purposes.
So you will not be able to ask for your money back!

When you install a new Vera you need to login, So all new users and new Vera devices will require you accept this.
Get used to it or move on ...

Offline obd

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 10:11:24 am »
You do not have to login to Vera's Servers or use Vera's mobile apps to use an existing Vera. ...

This is great news! Would you explain how or point me in the direction of some documentation on how to do this? I've only ever accessed my Vera from https://home.getvera.com/users/login.

Don

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 11:41:30 am »
You access it from your lan as:

http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/

Offline Nameless

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 01:34:57 pm »
You access it from your lan as:

http://Your.Vera.IP.Address/
If I'm not mistaken, you still have to login in order to make most changes. I have to login every time just to delete off an alert. It's annoying.

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

Offline RichardTSchaefer

• Master Member
    • RTS Services Plugins
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 01:45:55 pm »
Alerts use ther server.
You can use Vera Alerts plugin to deliver the notifications you want and not need to use their servers.
You will need their servers if you want to attach pictures to the notifications.

You will need the servers to restore a backup.
But you can make and save these yourself.

Offline Don Phillips

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 08:02:41 pm »
And you use their servers to read device logs, view "recordings" from cameras, and to access your Vera over the Internet.  For the last one, I tend to log into a desktop via Teamviewer to avoid using their servers. Last time I logged in was to reset my wife's account password so she can log into VeraMate to get different alerts than me (I like to know what is going on with Vera). 

Offline obd

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2017, 10:23:43 am »
Thank you all for the information. I was able to access my vera using the local IP once I VPN'd into my network. I am disappointed that I no longer have access to the full features of the unit though.

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »
Hi Guys,

Fees are applicable for the upcoming additional paid services like VeraSentinel and VeraProtect.

http://getvera.com/services/veraprotect/
http://getvera.com/services/verasentinel/

John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm

Offline Mai Pensato

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2017, 03:35:03 am »
Hi John,
Thanks for your reaction. So current users don't have to fear Vera is going to charge for the current services for which you have to login and are free?

Offline John M.

• Administrator
    • getvera.com
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:12:48 am »
Mai Pensato,

Exactly,
John.M. ▾ Senior Customer Care Advocate
Vera Control, Ltd. ▾ Smarter Home Control  ▾ support@getvera.com ▾www.getvera.com ▾ +1 (866) 966-2272

HOURS OF OPERATION (Pacific Time Zone, UTC -8 )
Monday - Friday   12:00 am ? 06:00 pm
Saturday - Sunday   04:00 am ? 06:00 pm