We have moved at community.getvera.com

Author Topic: Mios Marketplace & Developers  (Read 14892 times)

Offline JOD

Mios Marketplace & Developers
« on: April 14, 2011, 04:37:41 pm »
What does it take to get the developer applications from here (the forum) to the MM for one click installation? Assuming the Dev's want their code on there.

http://www.micasaverde.com/list-of-apps.php
The MiOS Market is your one stop shop for any and all plugins that developers have and will write for the any MiOS engine using platform, like Vera. Through the MiOS Market you can add plugins for everything from controlling your house through a smartphone to an IP camera.

The Weather Plugin (by @Guessed)
ADD & DAD (by @Ap15e)
TED (by @Woodsby)
Ping Sensor (by @TedStriker)
Virtual / State Device (by @Ap15e and @denix)

Just to name a few.

JOD.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2011, 04:59:03 pm by JOD »
I'm sorry, my responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
Re: Mios Marketplace & Developers
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 05:31:28 am »
What does it take to get the developer applications from here (the forum) to the MM for one click installation?

The short answer is: patience. :)

And now the long one: Currently it's hard to upload plugins in the marketplace, that's why you see so few. A new section in the marketplace for developers has been in the works for some time, but since it hasn't that much priority, it will take some time to get up and running. When it will be ready, it will allow developers to submit their plugin, so we should see more plugins in the marketplace.

Offline aschwalb

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:45:54 pm »
How does one log into the MIOS MarketPlace?  I try to but gives me an error....

Offline JOD

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 01:44:13 pm »
The short answer is: patience. :)
@mcvflorin, I dont like the short answer.   >:(
Case in point. UI2. Voice Announcements "Coming Soon"  :P

On the serious side, what % of the technical support calls are caused by user error? (we can go to the beta forum to discuss if needed) but If we can lessen the load on support, it will pay dividends in you guys having more resources for bug fixes and development work.

JOD.

Offline TimAlls

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 01:55:02 pm »
I am wondering the same thing.....how many calls do you get from the Newbies trying to write luup code? I have a thread going on a luup code generator to help generate properly formatted code and I am amazed at the lack of response.....this would have paid for itself in support phone calls if you had developed one years ago!
Food for thought.
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Offline Henk

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 04:19:03 pm »
@JOD

Ok i worked over

The Weather Plugin (by @Guessed)
ADD & DAD (by @Ap15e)
Ping Sensor (by @TedStriker, code updated to 1.41, thanks to Ap15e)
Virtual Device (by @?) credits go to @denix and @Ap15e see thread
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=2495.msg37300#msg37300

And have them running in my vera2 now on 1.1.245

Couldnt do
TED (by @Woodsby) because i dont have a TED

Whats next JOD?
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline JOD

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 05:17:23 pm »
I don't know the protocol for this but, if MCV can't get these plugins to the Mios Marketplace for a while they could possibly be added to http://code.mios.com/account as a next step.
At least everything would be in one place.

JOD.

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 05:21:19 am »
There are people (like me) who prefer to not use http://code.mios.com/ as a code repository for their plugins.

I'd like to suggest to create a new wiki page 'Luup plugins/tools' that lists all plugins:

Code: [Select]
Plugin          Purpose        Requirements HW      Requirements SW    Forum link        code.mios.com link        Download link

Not sure about the 'Download link' ...

Many useful plugins are buried in the forum depths ...

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • Release compat is not a bolted-on afterthought
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 11:54:47 am »
There already is one on the Wiki, but folks probably don't know to keep it up to date.  Best start off by revising that, then we can link it in the FAQ for this area (a pinned Post) once we get a little further along.

Offline Henk

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 12:14:09 pm »
Question at hand is, are we as à user community willing to start to organize our work if MCV doesnt (yet).

My answer (speaking for myself) would be YES!

But then we would need to

a) locate, collect, update and archive all code that is (as Ap15e stated) buried in the forum threads.
b) check the code
c) bring it together on the wiki
d) make it possible (if not already) for users howto download/upload and revise code.
e) keep a check on newly added/changed code

im all for it, as far as i can see, @guessed can support c and d
from what ive learned in my short time around, Ap15e is our most reliable coder making him
best suitable for b and e.

The rest of us can contribute by sifting through the posts to find, collect and package code.

Of course no job is exclusive for anyone mentioned, just a thought to make a start.

Im volunteering for a, testing and writing howto's.

Thats my 2 cents, vera users, get organized!
| Vera2 @ UI4 1.1.1350 / 3.20 | Vera Lite @ UI5 | Vera 3 @ UI5 | 2x Merten  504519 | 1x Duewi  064374 | 1x Everspring SM103 doorbell mod |1 Y-cam IP cam | various LUUP plugins |

Offline mcvflorin

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 01:15:53 pm »
I attached a list with some of the plugins. It's a bit old and outdated, but a good place to start. It's an HTML file, you'll have to change the extension.

Offline Ap15e

• Beta Testers
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2011, 01:47:05 pm »
I setup a new wiki page at: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_plugins_and_Luup_code

Please feel free to modify the structure. MCV should assign an unique ID to each plugin. The UID may be used by third party code to detect a specific plugin.

Offline Henk

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:05:28 pm »
Thanks @Ap15e and @MCVFlorin
This could be a startpoint, but call me crazy, i cant easily (prom the perspective of a new user) up/download from any of these locations.

They are a good referencepoint but need to be integrated into some sort of page users can actually use to not only read, but also interact (e.g up/download to/from)

@guessed, is there such a page readily available?
http://code.mios.com/ could be a starting point, but i dont know who is administering that, is it open for users to add or MCV controlled?

On the practical side:
I have some code downloaded, suppose i want to upload it zipped, where would the best place be to accomplish that in the context of this thread?

Your thoughts guys?

Henk

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 08:33:28 pm »
I setup a new wiki page at: http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_plugins_and_Luup_code

Please feel free to modify the structure. MCV should assign an unique ID to each plugin. The UID may be used by third party code to detect a specific plugin.

Seems like adding a duplicate page to the Wiki just makes it even more cluttered/broken than it already is   8)   Here's the original Luup Plugins page that I referenced before...

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_Projects

We can always extend it for a natural layout...  For the most part, the "details" can be out of band wrt the page to avoid it becoming overly cluttered and hard to read, and they can contain more functional labels instead of project names to add more meaning.

Offline guessed

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:12:34 pm »
@guessed, is there such a page readily available?
http://code.mios.com/ could be a starting point, but i dont know who is administering that, is it open for users to add or MCV controlled?
Personally I like code.mios.com as a centralized spot to download, document and otherwise "review" the complete history of a plugin, without going through tomes of Forums postings, and to provide a degree of consistency in the result.

The earlier parts, including the potential for rich/pictorial documentation and step-by-steps is important to folks who aren't tinkers, since the setup of the larger Plugins can be extensive.  This latter part, to be able to see not only the final product, but it's evolution and bug history/fix history is extremely important for Developers (we all learn by making huge mistakes 8) ).

code.mios.com allowed the community to update the DSC Alarm code when that engineer left.  Had that been a ZIP Attachment to a Forum thread, I would not have touched it with a TFP.   It allowed folks, like @strangely and others, to contribute a ton to it's overall evolution...  Similar things happened to the Phone plugin when it was exposed there, so we've already seen some of the benefits of clear ownership, over time, and community contribution.

I consider it a fairly good custodian/escrow location for code, instructions and downloads.

It's MCV owned/paid for, and accounts and source-control &/or wiki spaces are freely granted by PM'ing @mcvovidiu, which people can do once they exit Newbie status (25+ posts gets you to Sr. Newbie, which is enough to PM).

wiki.micasaverde.com is similarly controlled, but a bit more self-service to initiate, and have a background approval from MCV & Team to stop the spammers.

Anyhow, it's original purpose was to provide a defacto spot for folks not wanting to host their own Source Control, Change-Log, Wiki, File storage etc, etc.  It wasn't intended to be the location, as we all have different ways of working, but it was there as a convenience, and to help provide a centralized catalog of techniques (by example) for those that want to contribute in that manner.

Not everyone is going to use it, so you can only recommend places until the Marketplace is more concrete. 

In the current state, I'd use the [pre-existing] Luup Projects wiki page as the jumping point.  It already points to a number of the original plugins, categorized, and simply needs to be extended to include the newer ones that only exist in the Forums.  I believe the documentation for those plugins, their dependancies (etc) should be put within their respective documentation/wiki/forum pages.

A Sticky, read-only, FAQ post at the top of this Board can point to that page as the single "source of truth" for the existing Plugins.  Over time, that post can be extended to include the other FAQ items that routinely come up... either as direct content, or more likely as pointers to the SoT Posting on the matter.