Author Topic: ZIR000 configuraion Motion Control to turn on lights  (Read 8489 times)

Offline markbannister

ZIR000 configuraion Motion Control to turn on lights
« on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:30 pm »
Don't know why I can't ever find this information.....
Setup worked just fine
Now, I want to have it turn on the lights for 5-10 minutes upon detection.  It should stay on if it keeps sensing.  Problem is there is some sort of delay before it starts sensing again and it is longer than 10 minutes.  Where do I set that parameter?
Currently it turns on the lights correctly, turns then off in 10 minutes, but won't sense again for another 15 minutes or more (not sure exactly how long)

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
Re: ZIR000 configuraion Motion Control to turn on lights
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:21:59 pm »
Currently it turns on the lights correctly, turns then off in 10 minutes,
How did you configure the 10 minutes; as part of  the scene?
Dezwaved at the moment...

Offline acasiello

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 10:09:33 pm »
I have a ZIR000 that I use to trigger lights through Vera.  My unit resets itself after 3 minutes.  I set the scene so that the lights stay lit for a minimum of 5 mins.  So, as long as there is motion in the room, the lights do stay on. 

Don't know why mine reset in 3 minutes, and yours in 20 minutes.  I didn't configure any special settings on the unit or in the Vera related to the ZIR000. 

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 10:33:04 pm »
I set the scene so that the lights stay lit for a minimum of 5 mins. [...]
I see. My guess is @markbannister has it configured through the scene as well.

You could also let the sensor's 'trip' and 'untrip' events trigger an on and off scene, respectively. That's how I have mine set up. AFAIK, for the ZIR000 there's only one parameter that controls the delay. It's parameter 18 (Device Options -> Configuration settings). The value (in minutes) is in addition to a built-in 2-minute minimum.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:44:44 pm by oTi@ »

Offline markbannister

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 12:14:49 pm »
I set the scene so that the lights stay lit for a minimum of 5 mins. [...]
I see. My guess is @markbannister has it configured through the scene as well.

Yes using a scene.  Thanks.  In UI4 edit the device,   Edit Device tab, Configuration settings,  variable 18, 1 byte dec, value is time in minutes (seems to be minutes anyway)

Offline markbannister

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 08:30:06 am »
Works as designed it seems but not as expected.
Scene never "resets" and starts. Over.  That is I have a scene triggered to stay on for ten minutes.  I thought if the sensor kept seeing movement the scene would reset and stay on. 
Any way around this"

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 10:51:56 am »
I thought if the sensor kept seeing movement the scene would reset and stay on.
Normally, to maximize battery life, the sensor would send a single On command when it detects motion, and then a single Off command if no motion is detected for the programmed number of minutes. So if the sensor keeps seeing motion all the time, it won't send an Off or a new On.

You could use 1 scene that is triggered by the sensor's trip (i.e. motion) to turn on the lights, and 1 scene that is triggered by the sensor's untrip (i.e. no motion for the set number of minutes) to turn off the lights.

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:52 pm »
I don't have this sensor, but my ca9000s have 'pulse 5min 15min etc' setting options.  I only use the pulse mode, and trigger a scene when the pulse on is received.  I ignore the sensor's off command.

The scene is set to 'after xx min turn off'.  Repeated pulse triggers (motion) restarts the scene and resets the off timer.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 08:09:51 am »
I only use the pulse mode, and trigger a scene when the pulse on is received.  I ignore the sensor's off command.
I don't have this sensor, but I thought in pulse mode the 'no-motion' delay is almost instant, just a few seconds maybe. That seems fine for 'one-shot' applications, like a hallway, to turn the lights on for a minute or so. But to keep the lights on in a room, like living room or office space, I think it would be generating a lot of needless On/Off commands, which drains the batteries, takes airtime, and keeps Vera busy.

All depends on how much motion you're actually generating, but I think you're relying on the sensor not seeing any motion for a brief period at least once within the 'after xx min turn off' interval.

Offline markbannister

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:37 am »

The scene is set to 'after xx min turn off'.  Repeated pulse triggers (motion) restarts the scene and resets the off timer.

Hmm, the timers do not restart as far as I can tell.

Offline markbannister

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 08:59:17 am »

You could use 1 scene that is triggered by the sensor's trip (i.e. motion) to turn on the lights, and 1 scene that is triggered by the sensor's untrip (i.e. no motion for the set number of minutes) to turn off the lights.

OK, that works.  Trip on turns on lights.  Un-tripped sets another scene that times out in  a few minutes to turn off lights.
This is in our kitchen gets tripped a good bit.  I'm going to get rid of the batteries and use a DC adapter.

Offline markbannister

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 09:08:37 am »
Thanks for everyone's comments and help.

Offline Intrepid

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:09:01 am »

Hmm, the timers do not restart as far as I can tell.

I'm pretty sure they do.  I did some tests when I first got my motion sensors. 

If delayed actions did not get reset upon re-triggering a scene, that would cause all kinds of issues.

Offline markbannister

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 05:58:41 pm »
here is what I found when using tripped and Not tripped scenes
Sensor trips with motion and I turn on the lights and keep them on
After 2 minutes the (parameter 18) times out and the "not tripped" scene triggers.  This is even if the sensor is showing as seeing motion.  This is either a WAD or bug.  Who Knows
The work around is to to make a more complicated not tripped scene
The not tripped does this:
Leave lights unchanged and then after three minutes turn them off
If during that three minute time the motion sensor triggers the tripped scene, that seems to reset the not tripped timers.

BTW the not tripped scene must at first make no changes to the lights or else it could turn lights on that were already off.

Offline oTi@

• Community Beta
  • Master Member
  • UI what ?!
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:22 am »
After 2 minutes the (parameter 18) times out and the "not tripped" scene triggers.  This is even if the sensor is showing as seeing motion.
How did the sensor show it is seeing motion? As long as the sensor is seeing motion, the red LED won't come on and you wouldn't see any updates on the Dashboard.