So after updating my Vera2 to UI5 / Firmware 1.5.233 I just added the Aeon Labs MiniMote (Firmware 1.17) as a secondary zwave scene controller, AND IT'S A FULLY FUNCTIONAL SCENE CONTROLLER!
I can run predefined scenes on the vera using the Minimote! See Screenshots attached:
HowTo (or at least what worked in my case):
1. Go To: http://www.aeon-labs.com/site/products/view/3/
2. Update your MiniMote Firmware to 1.17.
3. Reset your MiniMote: Hold "Associate" and "Learn" until the lights stop blinking.
4. On your Vera2 (has to run on UI5 1.5.233 or 1.5.255) go to "Devices=>Add a Device=>Advanced zwave devices" Add a secondary" battery operated handheld remotes"
5. Now the zwave light on your vera starts blinking slowly.
6. Take your MiniMote close to the vera and push the "Learn Button".
7. The zwave led on the vera and the leds on the minimote will start to blink fast and stop again.
8. Wait a couple of minutes until the lua engine is restarted and the zwave light on the vera is not blinking anymore.
9. The go to "Devices=>Other" in the vera UI5. Click the wrench-button (settings) of the device "_MiniMote".
10. Choose which scene to run on which button in the "Scenes"-Tab
11. Close the Settings Window and click save.
12. Wait for lua to restart and try.
Works on ver2 and vera3.